For many years, I worked in the recruitment industry. During this time I learnt a lot about communicating with people from different walks of life, at different levels of profession, and with different interests and views on work. I then went on to work in a variety of business development roles, specifically within the fitness industry. The biggest part of every single day was spent cold-calling people, constantly looking for new business and trying to build new relationships with people.
Suffice to say, I now hate cold-calling and all that phone selling malarky! I hated feeling like I was being pushy towards someone, I hated people being rude to me, and I decided that cold-calling was…IS the worst thing anyone could ever be asked to do.
Back in my recruitment days, I wish I had known about networking. The ability to develop a sales funnel over a decent coffee, wow! (I love coffee by the way).
So, in the last four years I have been a woman on mission… to build a successful business, without making a single cold call, and the bonus is I still get new customers EVERY week.
Misconceptions about networking
A lot of people are under the misunderstanding that networking is to be avoided, that it’s a waste of time, that people are there to sell to you, and that it’s impossible to sell to someone that is trying to sell to you.
I’ve heard it all! But these are some of the most common things I have heard over the years:
- It’s a waste of time and money
- I’ve got proper work to do
- It’s like a cult
- I don’t need to network
- I’m too busy
- It doesn’t work for my business
- I don’t have my own business I work for someone else
I’m sure you’ll agree you’ve either heard these too, or you’ve even said the same yourself?!
Networking is about getting to know people, talking about business and about what you do, even if it’s to someone that doesn’t need your service or product. Which brings me onto my seven reasons why we should all network.
My 7 reasons to network
If you network (with Perfect People that is!), you will find yourself in this terribly unfortunate situation:
- You will never have to cold call, EVER!
- You will never have to ask for recommendations for a trade, supplier, product or service
- You will have a constant stream of new customers who have had your business recommended to them
- You will have a team of people who have “been there, done that and bought the T-shirt” when it comes to any kind of business related issue you come across ready and waiting to give you advice
- You will make new friends
- IF you’re employed, you might just find yourself picking up hints and tips to further your career OR change it completely!
- You will NEVER over-pay for anything EVER AGAIN
In conclusion, network!
If you follow our blueprint, engage with the community and work hard for them, they will do the same for you. It could just be the best investment you’ve ever made.
We have been networking for centuries, for years we have been chatting with friends, chatting over the fence with neighbours, chatting at the hairdressers, doing business deals on the golf course, recommending a decorator to Dave at the pub. We just didn’t realise we were doing it!! It’s not a new thing or a fad.
Whether you have your own business or work for a company, you will at some point in your career need to sell or purchase something. If you are employed in a sales role, or in charge of purchasing then networking is the dream answer. It’s where you find a team of people who generate leads on your behalf and where you can find tried and tested suppliers of basically every possible product and service you could desire!
SO….stop procrastinating, and book onto one of our amazing events today!